Well, what do you know?




I was walking one day to the post office in the village, and I heard a woman in great distress. 

"Oh! Oh! Help! Help!" she cried, "my baby has fallen down the well!"

"What happened?" I asked.

"She was in the garden, and wandered off.. when I found her she was on the edge, and before I could stop her, she fell!"

We ran to the well, and I leant forward. I couldn't see very well because it was so dark, but I could hear a small sound below. 

Using the rope which was tied to the water bucket, I climbed down to the bottom. It wasn't very deep, and there was only a small puddle of water. There I found the baby and she seemed to be unharmed, but she was covered in mud. I took her carefully in my arms and climbed back up.

"Look!" explained, "Your baby is safe and well. She fell into soft mud, which broke her fall - now she just needs a bath!"

Holding her baby tight, the relieved mother replied,"Well I never!"

"So, all is well," I said, with a smile, and went on my way.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limericks and Nonsense Poems

If I Had A Hammer