Mixed Conditional Patterns

Third Conditionals and Mixed Conditionals

Conditionals are sentences with two clauses – an 'if' clause and a main clause – that are closely related. Conditional sentences are often divided into different types.


Third Conditional

Third conditional sentences describe the past.
They describe something that
didn’t happen.

  • If I’d studied harder at school I would have gone to university.
He didn’t study very hard and he didn’t go to university.
  • We wouldn’t have got lost if you hadn’t given me the wrong directions.
She wasn't given the correct directions and she didn't find her way.
  • She might have finished the exam if she’d had more time.
She didn't finish the exam and she didn't have more time.

In third conditional sentences, the structure is usually
if + past perfect and would + perfect infinitive (e.g. have done). It’s not important which clause comes first.

Notice that other modal verbs can be used instead of ‘would’ (e.g. ‘could’, ‘might’ ‘may’)


Mixed Conditionals

In
mixed conditional sentences the time in the ‘if’ clause is not the same as the time in the main clause. There can be various combinations.

  • If he’d gone to university he might have a better job.
He didn’t go to university (past)
He doesn’t have a very good job. (present)

This sentence shows the present consequences of a past action.
  • If I’d won the competition I’d be going to Florida next week.
She didn’t win the competition (past)
She isn’t going to Florida (future)

This sentence shows the
future consequences of a past action.

Mixed Conditional Patterns

PAST
PRESENT
Examples:
  • If I had won the lottery, I would be rich.
    But I didn't win the lottery, and I am not rich now.
  • If I had studied French at school, I would have more job opportunities.
    But I didn't study French at school and I don't have many job opportunities.
  • If Maria had been born in the UK, she wouldn't need a visa to work here.
    But she wasn't born in the UK and now she does need a visa to work here.
PAST
FUTURE
Examples:
  • If Cande had signed up for the ski trip last week, she would be joining us tomorrow.
    But Cande didn't sign up for the trip last week and she isn't going to join us tomorrow.
  • If Lucas had got the job instead of Joe, he would be moving to Switzerland.
    But Lucas didn't get the job and he is not going to move to Switzerland.
  • If Freddy had won the bet, he would be going to Mexico with us next month.
    But Freddy lost the bet, and he won't be going to Mexico with us next month.
PRESENT
PAST
Examples:
  • If I were rich, I would have bought that Bugatti I saw yesterday.
    But I am not currently rich and that is why I didn't buy the Bugatti yesterday.
  • If Sofia spoke Mandarin, she would have translated the letter for you.
    But Sofia doesn't speak Mandarin and that's why she didn't translate the letter.
  • If I didn't have to write so many lesson plans, I would have gone to the pub last night.
    But I have to write a lot of lesson plans, and that's why I didn't go to the pub last night.
PRESENT
FUTURE
Examples:
  • If I didn't have so much vacation time, I wouldn't be able to go with you on the Norwegian cruise next week.
    But I do have a lot of vacation time and I will go on the trip to Norway next week.
  • If Marcella were more creative, the company would send her to London to work on the new advertising campaign.
    But Marcella is not creative and the company won't send her to London to work on the new campaign.
  • If Lucas weren't so nice, he wouldn't be tutoring you in maths tonight.
    But Lucas is nice and he is going to tutor you tonight.
FUTURE
PAST
Examples:
  • If I weren't going on my business trip next week, I would have accepted that new assignment at work.
    But I am going to go on a business trip next week, and that's why I didn't accept that new assignment at work.
  • If my parents weren't coming this weekend, I would have planned a nice trip just for the two of us to Lake Como.
    But my parents are going to come this weekend, and that's why I didn't plan a trip for the two of us to Lake Como.
  • If Maggi weren't making us a big dinner tonight, I would have suggested that we go to that nice Italian restaurant.
    But she is going to make us a big dinner tonight, and that is why I didn't suggest that we go to that nice Italian restaurant.
FUTURE
PRESENT
Examples:
  • If I were going to that concert tonight, I would be very excited.
    But I am not going to go to that concert tonight and that's why I am not excited.
  • If Facundo were giving a speech tomorrow, he would be very nervous.
    But Facundo is not going to give a speech tomorrow and so he is not nervous.
  • If Federico didn't come with us to the desert, everyone would be very disappointed.
    But Federico will come with us to the desert and that is why everyone is so happy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limericks and Nonsense Poems

If I Had A Hammer